I was thinking of all my fellow dandruff sufferers this morning as I experienced the pleasure of using my FANTASTIC smelling Pureology Dandruff/Scalp cure shampoo on my own hair this morning.
As a professional in the beauty industry who interacts with new clients on a daily basis it's important to me that I always look my best….and as a person who has dealt with dandruff & it’s effect’s I have used many different dandruff shampoo’s with widely varying results - I want to tell you about some of the products – in addition to Pureology, that I like best.
The Loma shampoo provides time-released botanicals and nourishing pro-vitamins with exhilarating peppermint essences from pure Oregon Peppermint Oil. This shampoo is great for all hair types, especially fine, thinning and medium textures.
The Therapro MEDIceuticals line was developed by experienced dermatological scientists utilizing the most advanced pharmaceutical methods and proven herbal medicines. They have been a leader in providing FDA approved scalp and skin treatments since 1994.
In addition to the scalp conditioner - their exfoliating Dandruff Treatment Shampoo is formulated to treat Dandruff, Seborrheic Dermatitis & Psoriasis of the scalp. The Natural oats, loofah and salicylic acid removes excessive skin cell build-up while the Vitamin B Complex provides growth nutrients that help prevent hair loss & baldness and improves microcirculation.
As I mentioned above, I am now using the Pureology “Antifade Complex Dandruff & Scalp Cure” to maintain my scalp health now that it is symptom free. I particularly like the Pureology line because I have highlights in my hair and all Pureology products have been created specifically to support color-treated hair – the other GREAT thing is that they smell wonderful!
As always – we welcome your comments and questions – both on our blog and the on-line forum. You can also reach us by phone toll-free at 1-877-457-2322 and get a live human who would be happy to assist you with any hair-loss or hair-product related questions.
Please see the attached “Dandruff Topic Overview from WebMD for some general information regarding the cause & treatment options they recommend.
All My Best,
Dandruff - Topic Overview
What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a shedding of the skin on the scalp that leads to white flakes on the head, neck, and shoulders.
What causes dandruff?
Dandruff may be caused by a form of a skin condition called eczema, which causes increased shedding of normal scalp skin cells. Dandruff can also be caused by a fungal infection.1 Hormonal or seasonal changes may make dandruff worse.
What are the symptoms?
Common symptoms of dandruff include white, oily-looking flakes of dead skin in your hair and on your shoulders and an itchy, scaling scalp. Your scalp can be either excessively dry or oily.
How is it treated?
Home treatment often helps prevent and get rid of the symptoms of dandruff.
- Use an antidandruff shampoo. A variety of shampoos are available, containing different ingredients. Trying several will help you find out which antidandruff shampoo is most effective for you.
- Shampoo daily to prevent a build up of dead skin cells on your scalp.
- If an antidandruff shampoo helps stop dandruff for a while but the dandruff problem returns, try a different antidandruff shampoo.
- Alternate antidandruff shampoos with regular ones if you are worried about the effects of antidandruff shampoos' harsh chemicals on your hair.
- Rub your scalp. When you wash your hair, lather once, rinse, then lather a second time and rub your scalp vigorously as you shampoo. This will help dislodge excess cells. Be careful not to rub so energetically that you damage your scalp.
- Let it soak. After you lather the second time, let the medicated shampoo sit on your head for 5 minutes. This will give the antidandruff shampoo time to work.
- Rinse well. This will help get rid of all the cells you have loosened up during shampooing.